The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends dental check-ups at least twice a year - more for some children with increased tooth decay risk or unusual growth patterns. Studies show that six months is the average time for plaque and tartar to form on the teeth and for tooth decay to be evident by an X-ray.
Keeping Your Child Cavity-Free
Regular dentist visits are important, even if your at-home routine is perfect. Professional teeth cleanings can remove debris that normal cleanings can leave behind, debris that could cause build up on the teeth, gum irritation or tooth decay. Also, your pediatric dentist can apply fluoride treatments to renew fluoride content in the enamel, strengthen teeth and prevent cavities.
Examining Oral Health Beyond Cavities
Tooth decay isn’t the only reason for regular dental visits.
At each visit with your child, the pediatric dentist will:
· Check gums for inflammation, which is a sign of infection
· Examine mouth for indications of possible cancer, diabetes and vitamin deficiencies
· Examine jaw joints for any irregularities in their form and function
· Note any irregularities in facial structure, bite, arch form, and teeth spacing
· Clean teeth of plaque, tartar and stains
· Apply appropriate fluoride to the teeth
· Recommend dietary modifications if necessary
· Show you and your child how to best clean their teeth at home
· Encourage your child, if it is age appropriate, to practice good dental hygiene habits at home
Between Pediatric Dentist Visit Care
On average, we will only see your child twice a year, so it is very important to us that you have the best information to care for your child’s teeth at home.
Here are a few tips to keep your child cavity-free between visits:
1. Beware of frequent snacking and be sure to brush after eating
2. Brush effectively twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
3. Floss once a day
4. Have sealants applied if appropriate
5. Ensure proper fluoride through drinking water or fluoride products/ supplements
6. Make sure to schedule your regular dental visits
At Barnes & McDonnell Pediatric Dentistry we strive to provide kind, comfortable care for your child that is affordable for you. We specialize in oral health care for infants, children, and adolescents up to the age of 20, including those with special medical or developmental needs. Our offices provide a full range of sedation and anesthesia services for the comfort and convenience of our patients and our team is specially trained to provide your children with individualized attention and care exclusively tailored to their needs. To set up an appointment with one of our pediatric dentist offices, please call the location most convenient for you – Port Orange, FL (386)760-0550 or Ormond Beach, FL (386)676-7763.